Wednesday 7 May 2014

Super Mom

Being a new mom to a baby with special needs hasn't been quite what I expected. Honestly, I'm not sure what I was expecting. They really should have a book titled "What to expect when you're expecting a child with Down syndrome (lightbulb). After all my research throughout the pregnancy, I guess I was expecting to get my cape at the hospital...
                              

I have been a mother for the past 19.5 years, so I feel I may be a bit of a seasoned veteran(shush). But I am now a mother of a child with more specialized needs. As far as babies go, their needs are simple ones..."love me, cuddle me, feed me and change me." I could spend all day playing with Lennox. It's no wonder I don't really accomplish much throughout the day. I admit that somedays I feel like I have done absolutely NADA. I could use a housekeeper, a cook, a secretary and a professional dog walker. I admit I CAN'T DO IT ALL anymore. And I am ok with admitting that I am not a superhero. I am not a "supermom". I am a mother just trying to keep it all together. 

Children are children. They need their mommies. The needs may be similar and are usually met in similar fashion. But sometimes they need to met all at the same time and then the quality of delivery takes a hit. But alas, I am still "Mom to the rescue"!  I sleep in intervals and with one ear always open. I eat whatever I can, whenever I can. I am always wearing the scent of "Eau du Mama". And quiet time is only when the wee ones are in bed. It sometimes seems like a thankless job. And sometimes I feel like I am failing more than "winning". But, I know that no one can kiss a boo boo, or wipe the tears from a broken heart better than a mom. We make the best sandwiches and give the best hugs. I have come to realize that it doesn't take a special kind of person to be a special kind of parent. I am not a "special" parent because I have a baby with special needs. I am special because I love my kids more than I love myself and I am doing my very best. Aren't we all?

I am still learning about how to raise a child with Down syndrome. So far, it has been no different than raising my "typical" children. Lennox's needs are the same but sometimes just take a little more time.  The demands are the same. They just sometimes need to be met a little more often. Somedays I sleep a little less, somedays I sleep a little more. I find myself spending less time stressing, and more time enjoying the the little things in life. More time celebrating the milestones rather than rushing them. Life can be hectic with 5 kids. I didn't expect it not to be. It sometimes can be a bit of a juggling act between appointments, therapy sessions, and life. I am busy! But aren't we all? 

Life is good. It's actually better than good. It is great! Lennox brings a certain light to our lives that we never knew we needed. I feel that I am a different kind of mother than what I once was. I feel my purpose runs a little deeper with Lennox. I am working hard for him. I feel I need to ensure that he will have a full, happy life and that he will be as loved and accepted by the world as he is at home. Looking back, I never really put so much thought into how to "raise" my babies. I just knew I wanted them to feel loved, happy and to be respectful. It is the same with Lennox, only now there is the added goal of inclusion. I am so determined because I love him so much. He gives me the strength to be that "special" kind of parent I want to be. I only want what's best for him and for the rest of my gang. I am a mom on a mission...to be a SUPER mom. Aren't we all? Happy Mother's day <3

No comments: