Thursday 11 July 2013

Fetal Echo

I had a fetal echocardiogram on Wednesday at 21 weeks, just to be sure that baby boy's heart looked good.  There were no structural abnormalities seen at 18 weeks but was a limited scan at that time.  This scan was a lot more thorough and took over an hour.  Thankfully there were no surprises. His heart looks perfect with a regular rate and rhythm.  He still has that small pericardial effusion which is apparently "typical" in a babe with chromosomal abnormalities, so they will continue to monitor it but aren't concerned. I will be going for ultrasounds every 3-4 weeks though, for the rest of the pregnancy to keep an eye on his growth.  Apparently, he is at risk for IUGR (intrauterine growth restriction).  Of all the literature I have read, I have never come across that tidbit of information, but I will trust the perinatologists and do whatever is best for my little monkey.

At the moment, he is growing well and was extremely active throughout the entire scan.  He weighs just over a pound and Magnus has felt some of his kicks and jabs with his little hand.  He gets super excited with each movement he feels and always asks "when is he coming out?".  

It is such a relief to know that he won't need heart surgery. I will pray for those little ones who do...  Amen!

No comments: